Millions of motorists are unaware of no-deal Brexit motor insurance green card requirement

Populus research commissioned by the British Insurance Brokers’ Association and the Association of British Insurers warned:

  • More than half (55%) do not realise they must carry a motor insurance Green Card if we leave without a deal
  • 49% UK adults believe it will be legally necessary to have European Breakdown cover if they are taking their car to the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit
  • Only a third of respondents had heard of a motor insurance Green Card and just 37% knew they need to obtain one
  • 20% failed to identify that they will need a valid driving licence to legally drive to the EU following a No deal Brexit


What this means for you and your fleet managers

The legal requirements of the Green Card system mean anyone driving abroad under a UK insurance policy must carry a physical Green Card. If you intend to tow a trailer or caravan, you must also have a separate Green Card for that. Green Cards will also be required to drive into the Republic of Ireland.

We’ve developed an easy to use Green Card Portal to enable you, fleet managers and drivers to request Green Cards directly. This is now available to use

Green Cards requested through the portal can be:

  • Emailed directly to you, fleet managers or drivers to print locally. However, it must be printed double-sided on green paper,
  •  Posted directly to you, fleet managers or drivers, but please allow 15 days for it to arrive.
  • A “bulk upload” facility allows brokers or larger fleet customers to upload a single file of up to 200 individual vehicles or trailers. All requested using this facility will be posted, so allow 15 days for delivery.

If you have any questions or want to know more, you’ll find Q&As on the website at, or speak to your usual contact at Zurich.