Whirlpool tumble dryer recall
- Whirlpool UK Appliances Ltd has issued a product recall of tumble dryers
- Whirlpool will provide a replacement dryer delivered and installed at no cost
- Tumble dryers under the Whirlpool brands of Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan or Proline need to be checked if they were made between 2004 and 2015
- If you have an impacted tumble dryer unplug it and do not use it
Electrical appliances are a common source of fire and represent an increasingly important risk to manage. In London alone, one fire each day involves household white goods – with 90% of cases stemming from appliance faults or electrical supplies.
A flurry of faults
Early in 2016, a Zurich Real Estate customer was significantly affected when a tenant’s faulty tumble dryer ignited and caused fire to spread throughout their 18-storey tower block. This is just one of the many fires caused by this fault which occurs when fluff drops from a collector by the drum comes into contact with the heating element.
Whilst estimates vary, it is estimated there are up to 500,000 appliances in use that are impacted by this product recall and that are still be in use.
Whirlpool tumble dryer action
Zurich is supporting this product recall and strongly recommend that customers and their tenants follow the guidance if you have a tumble dryer under the Whirlpool brands of Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline that was made between 2004 and 2015:
- Go to the Whirlpool page and check the model of tumber dryer
- Call 0800 151 0905 to check whether the tumble dryer needs to be replaced
- Follow this safety checklist which also includes a link to all the affected makes and models
- If your tumble dryer is affected, unplug the machine and contact Whirlpool on 0800 151 0905 to arrange a free replacement
Always register appliances with manufacturers or via another service, such as Register my Appliance. This enables manufacturers to notify you directly about any faults or recalls.