Are you celebrating the Queen’s 90th birthday?

  • The Queen’s official 90th birthday celebrations are scheduled for June
  • Neighbourhoods around the country will be holding street parties in celebration, offering opportunities for charities and community organisations to engage with local residents
  • We share our top tips for organising your own street party and other small events

Communities across the country will be joining together this June to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday with street parties and events.

Organising a street party can be a great way for charities and voluntary organisations to connect with local residents, generate interest in their cause, do some fundraising and join in the celebrations.

If you are thinking of holding your own street party around 21 June – the Queen’s official birthday – or any small event in the future, here are our top tips and guidance.

What is a street party?

Street parties are where individuals or organisations get together to put on an event for their neighbours. They don’t generally require a licence, but are only intended for residents of a particular street or area.

If you are looking to arrange a larger or more public event, please speak to us about what you need to consider.

Making a start

Organising street parties and other small events can be very straightforward if you start planning early enough – ideally several months in advance; there’s still time if you’re planning an event for June.

Once you have your idea, start by identifying the correct point of contact at your local council – usually the highways, events or communities team – and request any relevant information, such as registration and road closure procedures.

Getting your community involved

Speak with neighbours about your idea and try to get them involved. Ask people whether they would be willing to help with smaller aspects of the event, such as:

  • Liaising with the council
  • Creating and handing out invitations
  • Music and entertainment
  • Catering
  • Setting up on the day
  • Cleaning up after the event

Schedule two or three meetings and invite local people. Use these meetings to discuss plans, allocate responsibilities and allow people to raise any concerns.

Do I need a licence?

Small street parties and other events generally don’t require any licences. However, certain activities – such as serving alcohol or playing loud music – may, depending on the circumstances.

Again, check with your local council about the requirements for your particular event.

Registering your event

You will need to register a street party with your local council, and if you are planning on closing the street, be sure to notify them as early as possible so that they can plan around it.

The government’s guide to organising a street party includes a simple application form, which can be used to notify your council and apply for a road closure.

Serving food

Only food businesses generally require a food licence – catering for a one-off event, such as a street party, should not require one.

It is, however, important to ensure food is safe for consumption, or your organisation could be held liable for any harm caused.

The Food Standards Agency has issued some helpful FAQs for community and voluntary organisations providing food at events.

Risk and insurance considerations

While central government does not require insurance to be held for street parties, they do advise organisers to consider it.

Organisations are particularly susceptible to claims, so are encouraged to always conduct a full risk assessment and hold appropriate Public Liability cover for all events.

When organising events, always discuss plans with your organisation’s insurance provider, this way you can check whether your policy will cover the event, and also receive information on any additional cover you may need.