Zurich reaches 1000 ‘Dementia Friends’ milestone as it works to support vulnerable customers
Zurich recently celebrated the delivery of Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Friends Information sessions to over 1000 employees across its UK business to help support customers and staff affected by the condition.
The Dementia Friends programme is run by Alzheimer’s Society and is the biggest ever social action movement changing people’s perceptions of dementia.
Support for Insurance United Against Dementia campaign
Insurance United Against Dementia has also been set up by Alzheimer’s Society and is an inspirational initiative seeing the sector lead the way in galvanising the whole insurance industry to help support the funding of research around dementia including how it’s viewed and treated, and helping make businesses dementia friendly.
Reaching the 1000 Dementia Friends milestone is an important part of Zurich’s strategy to support vulnerable customers, with other highlights including:
- Being a signatory and contributor to the Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Friendly Financial Services Charter. As part of this, we are currently reviewing our identification and verification process to ensure it’s as straight forward as possible for customers to pass, without compromising data security.
- Building on the 1000 Dementia Friends milestone, Zurich’s Community Trust in partnership with the Alzheimer’s Society, is hosting industry wide Dementia Friends Information sessions for brokers, suppliers and organisations from across the insurance sector.
- Working with Alzheimer’s Society to develop its 2019 Dementia Friendly Finance and Insurance Guide that highlights the ways financial services companies can better support customers and their families.
- Dementia awareness features in Zurich’s Vulnerable Customer training and all employees are invited to become Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Friends at the end of session.
- A national multi-year charity partnership with Dementia UK awarding £225,000 funding over three years to support its work. We help fund their Admiral Nurse Helpline, providing specialist support to people effected by dementia. So far we’ve helped them reach over 3,500 families and also funded the recruitment of Vicky Wheeler, a new Admiral Nurse.
- We’ve worked with our learning partner Hemsley Fraser to develop to a tailored suite of online learning solutions for Dementia UK’s Admiral Nurses that can be accessed via Zurich’s learning hub.
- We support the Insurance United Against Dementia industry wide fundraising day held annually each November, where employees take part in a range of activities to raise funds which is further boosted by 100% matching from the Zurich Community Trust.
Morven Lean, Strategic Change Manager, Alzheimer’s Society, said: “It’s refreshing to see a big financial service provider like Zurich, make such a commitment to fully supporting its customers and staff affected by Dementia. The financial support provided through its charitable arm will also make a huge difference to supporting families.
“Reaching such a significant milestone, with 1000 Dementia Friends across the organisation is a great way of raising awareness and making sure its products and services are more accessible. The work that Zurich is doing, including training for all customer facing staff is exemplary and will make a real difference to people living with dementia.”
Find out more about how we support our communities through the work of our charity arm, Zurich Community Trust, by visiting their website and social channels: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Join the conversation: #TakingAction #DoingItForDementia #MakingaDifferenceTogether #LifeatZurich #LoveZCT